Tuesday, February 26, 2013

PB&J Protein Bars

It feels like Thursday. But it's not. WHY MUST IT NOT BE?!?
If it was Thursday, all would be right in the world. Everything just seems better when it's Thursday, you know?
The day after Tuesday is Wednesday <--EW
The day after Thursday is Friday<--YES!!

See my thought process here?


Anway, I'm currrently suffering from withdrawal after finishing off one of these beauties I made the other weekend. 



Saturday I woke up wanting a peanut butter and jelly bar that was gooey and sticky and messy and just plain tasty. But also something that wasn't full of sugar and butter. But lots of good stuff.
BEHOLD, the PB & J Protein Bar was born.


Basically it's made of bran flakes, oats, protein powder, peanut butter, maple syrup, applesauce, milk, salt, jam and greek yogurt. A stick-to-your-ribs kind of bar.
 Really, it's not that hard to make. :)

By the way, this kept me full for 6+ HOURS. Yes, hours.
Maybe I shouldn't have eaten 1/3 of the pan?



PB&J Protein Bars
Serves: me, JUST me.

5 cups bran flakes
1/2 oats
1/2 cup maple syrup (I used sugar free)
3/4 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1/2 cup milk of choice
1/2 cup applesauce
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs. cinnamon

- PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES.
-Combine ingredients in order, one at a time in food processor and processor until all thoroughly incorporated.
-Take out half of dough mixture and press into bottom of 8x8 inch sprayed baking pan.

-With remaining dough,  place in mixing bowl and add in:

1/4 cup chopped nuts of choice (I used pecans)
1/3 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
Mix together and set aside


-In small mixing bowl, add in:

3/4 cup jam of choice (I used raspberry and strawberry)
1 individual container Strawberry Chobani (or any other flavor of choice)

-Spread jam mixture over bottom dough layer in pan.
-Spread remaining dough topping mixture on top.
-Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
-Let cool for at least 1 hour to set before cutting.


*Or just ignore everything I said and cut immediately and serve with whip cream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment