Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Coconut Lemon Bars & quite possibly the end of the world


So, I figured since today's supposed to be lucky and all because of 12.12.12., I might as well continue this EVEN THOUGH I took a year and a half break. This blog and I had a bit of a break up last year, but I think we're getting back together.
We haven't decided yet.
ANYWAY, the world's supposed to end next Friday and I decided, what the heck;
 Why not blog up until the end?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 


I was thinking about food and um, well food while watching Cupcake Wars because, well, you just can't watch that show without having something in your mouth because it just seems wrong.


Right?


So while I was watching this magnificent show and seeing them make a hot dog cupcake with cheese in the middle, I had a light bulb moment.


Lemon Square Cupcake.


You know, at the time, it seemed to make sense. Now that I think about it though, I'm starting to 

realize it may not to others. 

My mind, at one point, got lemon squares out of hot dogs. 






Then again, this was pretty late at night(think 7:30pm, I KNOW, so late, right?) and my mind 

might have been corrupted by the exorbitant amount of chocolate chips and dates( <----- good combo, really) I was shoving into my mouth. 

Then again, I still don't know how I went from

 hot dog cupcakes---> lemon bar cupcakes ---> lemon bars
















Oh well.












Coconut Lemon Bars

adapted from Mom's Best Desserts

Crust

1 cup almond meal
1 cup oat flour (oats ground up in food processer)
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 cup greek yogurt
2 tbs. coconut oil

Preheat oven to 350. 

Mix all ingredients together in medium mixing bowl.
Press dough into 13 x 9in baking pan.
Bake for 20 min.
Take out and immediately pour lemon filling (below) on top.


Lemon Filling


5 egg whites

1/2 cup sugar of choice
1 tbs. coconut oil
1 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup corn starch
1 packet lemon jello (<--strange? Yes. Tasty? YES!)
1 tsp. baking powders
1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes (optional)

Beat egg whites til stiff white peaks form with blender.

Combine remaining ingredients together and mix by hand.
Fold in egg whites and stir gently.
Pour mixture over still hot crust and return to oven for 20-25 minutes, until top is slightly golden brown.
NOTE: Lemon Filling will be expanded and risen upon removal from oven. Let lemon bars sit for at least 30 minutes in order for the filling to deflate and set.



No comments:

Post a Comment