Friday, December 14, 2012

The amazing GOOEYNESS of Coconut Jam Fruit Nut Roll





GAH!  
(Let's all just take a moment to appreciate how beautiful and amazing the above piece of amazingness looks, shall we?)
  Last weekend my Mom and I were attempting to make baklava the way my YiaYia (grandmother) did for so many years.

Key word: attempt

Let's just say we accidentally measured out more cinnamon that was necessary and the ending product was um, shall we say pure cinnamon-y?

Anyway.

There was oh so many leftover walnuts from the filling, I decided, what the heck.

What do you have when you take 4 phyllo sheets, ground up walnuts, coconut, coconut oil, apricot & raspberry jam, and chopped dates?

HEAVEN IN YOUR MOUTH, THAT'S WHAT.
I feel like we have to take one more moment  just to appreciate this beautiful glory in all of its mess <--(get it? "mess", as in 'messy eater'...HAHAHAHA...)


Sigh. How I love thee.  ^^   
(this is as big as the pictures would get, trust me; if I could get it any larger, I would :))




LOOK AT THAT GOOEYNESS<----yes, that is a word.
(at least since I added it to auto correct it is)

I mean, really, how could you say no to this glorious mess of a food?





Coconut Jam Fruit Nut Roll


4 phyllo sheets
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup ground nuts (I used walnuts)
1 tbs. cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup jam (I used raspberry & apricot, but feel free to use any other combo!)
3 tbs. coconut flakes, sweetened or unsweetened

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take out a cookie baking sheet.
-Process nuts and cinnamon in food processor until chunky, not nut butter.
-Melt coconut oil using microwave or stove top (whichever you prefer).
-Lay out first phyllo sheet on a flat surface. Take melted coconut oil and a pastry brush (if you have one). Dip brush into oil and lightly brush over the edges and center of sheet of phyllo. Gently take remaining sheets of phyllo and repeat. BE VERY GENTLE because the phyllo is of the up most fragility.
- Once the 4th sheet of phyllo is on top, take cinnamony ground nuts and scatter across the length of the middle of the phyllo sheet, avoiding the edges. Do the same with chopped dates, jam (may be in clumps; that's okay!), and coconut flakes. Lightly coat the edges of the phyllo sheet with coconut oil.
- Gently, (VERY GENTLY) take top of phyllo sheet, lift the edge, and roll the layers of phyllo towards you, until all parts of the sheets are rolled up. VERY GENTLY lift the rolled up phyllo GOOEYNESS and place on to cookie sheet. Take remainder coconut oil and brush over outside of phyllo roll.
- Put into oven and bake for AT LEAST 25 minutes or until golden brown. 
-Let cool for AT LEAST one hour or (even better) over night for optimum taste and for all the flavors to set in. 

NOTE: I WOULD HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND WAITING OVER NIGHT TO EAT THIS just because it tastes best then. Honestly. I'm serious here. I don't joke about something this amazing.

SECOND NOTE:  The use of the word GENTLE. Phyllo is a very fragile pastry. Think of it as a newborn. Just don't sing to it.

SECOND NOTE: Um, nothing really..I just wanted to have third note :)









No comments:

Post a Comment