Thursday, June 30, 2011

Carrot Cake & the amazing vocals of little girls

So, last night I ended up going to a baseball game. 

The game was in a stalemate for about 25 minutes until this seemingly adorable little girl started to scream "Let's go team, let's go!". 
At first, everyone around her, including myself, thought it was sweet. We even joined in with her for a few chants to give the team a boost of confidence.

But then she didn't stop.

Oh no, she continued on for the next 21 minutes, gradually progressing to screeching at the top of her lungs.
I'll tell you; that girl had vocals.

Why am I even telling you this?
Well, throughout this whole.....ordeal,  the little girl's face was a bright, bright orange. 

Sunburned?
Maybe so.
  
But all I could think about (other than my suffering ears), was that she reminded me of a carrot. 

Now don't get the wrong idea or anything;
 I was just a little hungry.



Now I'm wondering where I'm going with this

Let's just forget my thought process and get on with the cake.

You can thank me later.









Slightly Vegan Carrot Cake

1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg (I used flax egg-->3 tbs. warm water w/ 1 tbs. ground flax) 
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup water
1 tbs. molasses 
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tbs. coconut oil
1 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350*.

Spray a 13 x 9 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine all ingredients in order, one by one, stirring after each new addition to fully incorporate into the batter.

Pour batter into pan, spreading evenly with a spatula.

Bake for 37-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out MOSTLY clean or just perfectly clean.


(side note: I pulled mine out when there was just the smallest amount of batter still clinging to the toothpick like a certain desperate person screaming "Take me away, I can't take it anymore!", in response to another certain <smaller> person screeching continuously. But that's just the way I like my cake; slightly gooey and fudgey :P)

Allow to cool completely before drizzling with glaze<below>.

Optional: Garnish with blueberries.



Lemon Vanilla Glaze
Makes 2/3 cup.

1 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 tbs. milk
2 tbs. Earth Balance.
1 tsp.
1/2 tsp. lemon juice

Melt Earth Balance. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment