Monday, December 17, 2012

OBSESSIONS #1 & #2 (of many more to come): COCONUT & CHOCOLATE; IN FUDGE FORM





Do you ever get a craving for something? Something that you can't quite put your finger (or in this case, mouth) on? 
Sometimes I'll be standing in the kitchen, spoon in hand and a good fifteen different types of food just layed out on the counter.
 Sweet...salty...sweet & salty...I don't care, you pick.

Anyway.

Saturday night I had this intense urge for coconut.  And chocolate. But mostly coconut.
 Have you ever tried these two together? OOOOOHHHH MY GOBSTOPPER is this combo good!
                       (yes I know this looks like something unappetizing, but MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER PEOPLE!)


 It's like a match made in heaven. 
Yin and yang. 
Brown and white. <---what?
 Right. 

Well. My point is that this combination is AMAZINGLY good together. Also, in case you haven't noticed, I have a slight obsession with coconut. Case in point, the last two recipes have been centered around C-O-C-O-N-U-T.
 Coconut oil, coconut flakes, coconut shower gel, coconut chap stick  (yes, it exists. Go buy it.) coconut flour (SO SO GOOD, I just bought it for the first time and AHHH!I think I'm in love! But more on that some other time..), coconut cream, coconut sparkling water, coconut greek yogurt (this is like crack. No seriously. I think there's something in the ingredients that makes you eat one a day and buy more every time you're at the grocery store even though you have a huge pile at home sitting on the top shelf of your fridge because you're afraid that at any moment their going to be recalled by those big food distributors and they'll be forever gone from your life so you just HAVE to stock up while they're there.



 Also, I love chocolate. To the point where I HAVE to have chocolate, even if it's just a little bit EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT.  There's no way out if it. It's like it's calling to me. Controlling my mind. Forcing me to reach for the chocolate...
"just a tiny piece...no that was too small..one more sliver...what? where'd it go?...just another small taste..really, after this you'll be done, I swear.."

I think I need psychological help. 




Chocolate Coconut Fudge
adapted from here

1 15 oz. can coconut milk (light or regular)
1 8 oz. pkg. Bakers baking chocolate squares (sweetened or unsweetened)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sweetener of choice (brown sugar, maples sryup, agave, honey, splenda, etc.)
Note: If using unsweetened chocolate, sweetener is necesary as the taste of the fudge will be very bitter. Also, if using sweetened chocolate, sweetener may not be necessary <taste to make your own decision>)
Optional: Add in coconut flakes, more chocolate (in the form of chips because YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH CHOCOLATE), dried fruit, nuts.

-Turn stove top on to medium heat and place a medium sized sauce pan on top. Unwrap chocolate squares and place in sauce pan.
- Using a spoon, stir chocolate squares until fully melted. Add in coconut milk and continue stirring.
- 2 minutes before removing sauce pan from heat, add in sweetener (if using) and vanilla. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and add in the add-ins (if using). 
-Pour fudge into an 8 x 8 baking pan and either store in freezer to harden completely, or store in fridge until cool.
 Be warned; the fudge mixture will be VERY hard if stored in freezer, and VERY soft  if stored in the fridge.
  




Also, it's very tasty. And messy. So bring some extra napkins, K?

No comments:

Post a Comment